Sunday, June 7, 2009

My Romantic Anniversary

For those of you looking for a romantic comedy post...please insert sarcasm into my title and read it again. Note: the lack of a romantic anniversary is not at the fault of my husband. In other words, this is not a bash on the husband post. This is a "Kasey, sometimes your elevator doesn't go all the way to the top floor" post.

So for my sixth wedding anniversary, which is today June 7th, I had/got to fly to Seattle for audit training. I'm excited about my training, so besides the fact that it required me to leave on my anniversary, nothing negative to say about that.

And let the story begin...

I procrastinated getting ready to go till the morning of. My flight left at 1:30, so I figured I would have enough time in the morning to do two loads of laundry, pack, and get out the door. Because I'm amazing, I did the above three things and I was 5 minutes ahead of the schedule I had set for myself. I did not put on my checklist anything like check the flight, check in, etc. So after waiting in the check-in line at US Airways for 25 minutes, I was a little surprised when they said they didn't have a reservation for me. Hmmmm...I pulled out my lap top real quick and checked my confirmation. Oh, I fly out on Alaska, not US Airways. Perfect. So I catch the shuttle to terminal 2 and run to Alaska check in. Well, the flight had already started boarding so they wouldn't take my bag. If I hadn't had anything to check I would have been fine. Being my emotional self, I started crying - which only makes me want to cry more because then I'm embarrassed I'm crying over missing a flight. So they booked my for a 6:30 pm flight. The funniest part is that the girls behind the counter felt really bad as I started blubbering that it was my anniversary and I had no way of contacting my husband. They told me my hair looked cute, that I was too pretty to be sad, and then they brought me tissues. That was nice...but we're still not friends. To make my anniversary an even better day, I had forgot my cell phone at the in-laws so Karl had given me his. So I couldn't call him. I called my mother-in-law and she was sweet enough to come get me and drop me off at home. So Karl was quite surprised to see me on the door step, but on the bright side I got 3 more hours with my hubby on our anniversary.

Fast forward 3 hours. I get all checked in and I'm headed to security. Some strange German guys stop me and ask if they can give me a hug and all they ask is that I pass it along. Too weird, I say no...I'm not comfortable with that. I was so sure they were going to slip some weapon into my pocket. As I'm leaving one of them says "Let us explain so you don't leave thinking you're a bad person." I reply "Oh, I don't think that...bye." Did that really just happen?

I get through security, stop for a water and some magazines as is tradition, and make it to my gate. Oh...my flight has been delayed till 8:50 pm. So I get to hang out in the airport for two more hours...and I don't get into Seattle till 11:45 pm. I have training the next morning at 8 am.

So I am blogging my wonderful anniversary experience as I sit, uncomfortably, in the airport...wondering if anyone on my flight hugged the weirdos and now has a bomb in their pocket. Hopefully, I am blogging about my fun Seattle trip in a weeks time.

2 comments:

Sweating in the endless heat said...

Umm, I would've said the same thing to the weirdos...they could've put a tracking devise on you too:-) Sorry that your day was kinda crappy, but at least you did get to spend the extra three hours with the hubby and kiddo, oh and I am sure you have your cell phone now!

If you get a chance eat some yummy salmon for me while there in the most beautiful city in America:-) SOO jealous of you right now!

Amber said...

That is too funny...the part about the guys..not the other part:)
I totally missed Carson! I hope you had a better trip last week!!
Amber