Wednesday, May 6, 2009

It was Carson, in the dining room, with the ink pen

As I walked down the stairs, I listened for the comforting sounds of my child playing. It was quiet…too quiet. I turned the corner, expecting to catch the culprit red handed. To my surprise, the assumed criminal was quietly reading a book. It all seemed a little suspicious. Perhaps I had been too quick to judge his character. I decided to throw away my assumptions and start anew, trusting in the honesty and nonmischieviousness of the boy. It would be hours later when I discovered the true meaning of his innocent reading.

Hours later: After I put him to bed, I sat down at the table to finish my to do list. Oh what joy! Carson had left me a present…and added to my “to dos”. New things to do: 1) wash place mats since they are now covered in Carson’s artistic interpretations (done with ink that probably won’t wash out), 2) wash my cup as Carson interpreted onto that as well (FYI – I’ve already checked this one off my to do list…and no, it didn’t come off), 3) start a new to do list as I can’t even read my list…due to Carson’s artistic interpretations. I can only blame myself…I had gone upstairs to put on my PJ’s and had left my chair pushed out with an open pen on the table. Carson had to be pretty quick to climb up the chair, practically empty the pen’s ink on all viable surfaces, then go into the living room, put a book in his lap, and look innocently up at me as I came back down the stairs. I’m onto to you now little boy…game on.




We had my company picnic this weekend. It was pretty fun and luckily not too hot. Carson loved all the fun bouncy castles, cookies, squirt guns, etc. Here he is with his cookie.




He was obsessed with the water gun below (even though his face doesn't show it).

He was totally tuckered out when we left. He was resting his head on Karl's arm as we walked to the car. Too cute.


I know you’ve all been dying to hear how I was “honored” for getting the 9th highest score on my CPA exam, in Arizona, in 2008. The ASCPA invited the top ten to a luncheon. We chatted, ate lunch, and all received plaques. It was actually pretty fun. The only downer was that they had each of us introduce ourselves and then say our four test scores. I had been so proud of my scores but when I’m in a room with 9 other people, 8 of which scored higher than me, my scores did’t sound so great anymore. I just had to keep telling myself my feelings of embarrassment for not getting 99’s was ridiculous. So besides that, it was fun.

Carson just finished up his two weeks of swimming lessons. He hated the first three days and whined the whole time. The teacher had her 5 year old son get in with Carson for the rest of the lessons and then he loved them. He would copy everything her son would do. Carson floated on his back all by himself (for a few seconds) and could “monkey walk” all along the edge of the pool – the whole time making monkey sounds. He would even hold his breath and go under water to get toys. So overall, it was really great. I wish he hadn’t been so whiny at first, but like a normal 2 year old he wanted to play, not float on his back.

I’ve been a single mom pretty much the last month. Karl has been spending every night on campus in order to stay on top of his assignments. I can’t even count the number of ten page papers he’s had to write. Like 8 probably…no fun. But I’m so proud of him for staying motivated and getting it done. His last day of classes was yesterday. Now he’s just working on some final projects. He’ll be pretty much done on Friday! Then next week we go see Obama and he’ll walk and get his diploma. So exciting. He’ll finally be done with his masters.


We have definitely hit the terrible twos. I’ve had a few embarrassing grocery store moments…no more details will be provided on those. It is a growing period for me as a parent. I’m learning to be even more patient and am having to do a lot of reading to figure out the best methods for dealing with things like tantrums and hitting. Oh how Carson loves the “go limp” method. He uses this the most often and we end up dragging him around or just leaving him till he decides to get up. Problem is, I would expect a child to go “Oh no, my mom is leaving me.” Carson goes “Yes, my mom is leaving me, now I am FREEEE!” We’re still working out the kinks. Luckily, the year of 2 is also wonderful and sweet as communication increases and Carson likes to show more affection. Without that balance, I think I would go crazy.

IMPORTANT NEWS FLASH: SYTYCD premieres Thursday, May 21st. That is "So You Think You Can Dance" for non diehards. I look forward to the summer every year just for this show. I love it so much. I tried to find a clip to give everyone a taste of the goodness...but it took too long. So search it and enjoy.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

We can definetely relate to the grocery store fun! And although i am not a dancer i too am so excited for SYTYCD, love it!

Zelma Tiger said...

Hey, I watch SYTYCD. I guess it reminds me of you and your sisters.
Good game of Clue, but maybe it was Karl in the kitchen with the pen. Carson had an alibi--he was reading. I love it. Mom

Amber said...

Yes, Casey your son has shown his artistic ablities on my walls as well. I'm sorry to say he didn't learn it here. Kids just pick up these things. Sam, however, was watching Carson and thought it was pretty cool:)