We just got back from a quick Woodard camping trip in Durango, CO. By the way, I was singing the Durango Doug theme song the whole way there and back...I assume very few people will know what I'm talking about.
So I was so excited to leave Arizona. I am not a huge fan of the AZ, as I'm sure I've mentioned several times. Then I looked at the weather report for Durango...rain...everyday. Boo Hoo - I don't want to go. I was dreading the monster Carson that occurred on our last rainy camping trip. So we got there Thursday night and it was dry...one day down. Half way through the night Carson started crying. He doesn't do this at home, probably because he knows we would just let him cry and calm himself down. But we can't do that in the middle of a camp ground, surrounded by blissfully sleeping campers. So Karl and I are running around the tent at 3 am trying to keep him quiet. Luckily, all it took was bringing him into my sleeping bag...unluckily, that means I slept not like a rock at all. Carson also got up with the sun at 5:30 am, so...fun. He was a little cranky through the day...but again, it was dry! We did a little hike and put our feet in the freezing cold stream.
Saturday we headed up to Durango Mountain for a day of funtivities. Karl's parents watched the kids so we could act like kids. We rode the ski lift to the top of the mountain and then mountain biked down. It was my first time EVER mountain biking. As we are getting on the lift, the worker looks at our grinning, innocent faces and says "There is no easy way down this mountain, you guys know what you're getting into, right?" Karl confidently answered yes, but the smile had faded from my face. Wait...what? I was picturing the Sound of Music when they are all on their bikes in their new curtain outfits. "You mean I won't pretend I'm Liesl?"
I had a very long ski lift ride to contemplate my life and conclude that I could die happy. Just kidding - I was actually singing The Hills Are Alive, Do Re Mi, and Edelweiss at the top of my lungs (thoroughly embarrassing Karl). What is a ski lift ride through beautiful mountains covered in grass, flowers, and trees without a few show tunes?
So we get to the top and ask to be pointed in the direction of the easiest trail. OK - easiest trail...this is a good start, right? Everyone hops on their bikes and gracefully descends the steepest, rootiest, rockiest trail I have ever seen. I walk my bike down. I am now so sure I won't make it off this mountain alive, I shed a few tears (secretly under the protection of my helmet). If you haven't deduced from my previous posts, I am a bit of a cryer. Everyone is trying to be helpful and I'm getting tips every two seconds...which is helpful but also makes me feel like an idiot. I walk my bike on all the scariest parts and whine the rest of the time. All the sudden I see every one standing in a group...right next to the beginning of the chair lift. Wait? That was it? Oh, I'm a lame-o. Let's do it again! So we did it two more times and I'm proud to say the third time I felt really comfortable and only walked my bike a few feet. YEAH! I can mountain bike.
We also did the Alpine slide. Very fun. Also a bunji/trampoline activity. I thought I had done this before when I was in college but I was wrong. This one went way higher!! I tried to do a front flip (unsuccessful). But I managed a back flip. The harness killed me though so it wasn't the funnest. It was fun though every time I would soar up in the air and then my stomach would drop...I love that feeling (roller coaster anyone?).
Then we drove home. Carson did really well on the car trips, which surprised me a little. The last little leg of the trip we put Kenzi in our car too so the kids could have fun together. The first ten minutes was ridiculous laughing. Kenzi would do a silly laugh and then Carson would do one and then they would both laugh for real because they thought they were so funny. I was laughing so hard I was crying in the front seat - they were too cute. Carson adores Kenzi and does everything she does. Luckily, Kenzi doesn't mind having a shadow. Every time they would part Carson would cry for "Kenzie, My Kenzie." And every time we pulled up somewhere, Carson would ask "Kenzie? Kenzie?" (times 25). Kenzie was too cute as well with her "Tum here, Tarson."
Well - we had a great trip and I recommend Durango, CO to anyone outdoorsy. It would be beautiful in the winter as well - covered in snow. Back to life now...for a little bit (then I'm off to Spokane!)
1 comment:
Way to get down the moutain Kasey. I would be crying my eyes out & telling Jason to carry me. We miss you guys...I guess once we stop traveling we'll get together. Have fun in Spokane
Post a Comment