Sunday, October 18, 2009

Funny Monsters

Costco is like a wonderland. They have all their products out and displayed. They carry different yet awesome stuff all the time. But the last two trips to Costco (often a family event to cure boredom) have resulted in the “end of the world” for Carson. They have a big horse/pony that children can sit on. Each time, Karl and I try to run past that area in hopes that Carson won’t see it…and each time he does and then tells us he wants to ride it. Now, other children are sitting on the pony and laughing and being the happiest little children in the world. I can see the lure. But putting Carson on that pony, and then taking it away would result in an even bigger melt down. Anyway – thanks to Costco’s pony display we have had to do our Costco wandering with a crying little boy in our cart. He eventually gets distracted by something else – the snowman display, the Handy Manny toy, etc. But it’s put a definite kink in our Costco trips.

I love life's little mess ups...they usually make me laugh pretty hard. The other day, Karl worked really hard to make this chili. He was up cutting vegetables for a very long time (while I got Carson ready for bed, etc). He was really proud of himself for doing it the night before so dinner the next day would be easy. Unfortunately, he didn’t read how many servings the recipe made. So we have 24 servings of chili in our fridge. I went on all night making jokes about what we could do with it – I thought it was hilarious. Luckily Karl is a good sport. Karl filled eight Tupperware bowls and had them all lined up on the counter. So if you like chili…

We got Carson some spider gel clings for his bathroom mirror (for Halloween). Normally when Carson is learning a new word, we’ll say it and then he says it back to us in the form of a question. Then we’ll usually say it again and he feels more confident in his pronunciation. So when we put them up and he said “What’s that?” we told him they were spiders. But every time he repeats the word back to us, he says “Spidersaur?” It makes me laugh, so yes…we have several “spidersaurs” on his mirror. The little ones he calls baby spidersaurs.

I read on a website that when you’re taking professional pictures, you shouldn’t have your child say cheese because they usually end up not looking like they are smiling. Instead, it suggested you ask them to say their name as most children naturally smile when saying their own name. I did a test. The first picture below was Carson saying cheese and the second was him saying his own name. (Oh, and he likes to put on swim goggles and pretend he is swimming all over the house...which is also hillarious). The third I asked him to say hi (and yes, he looked very stylish in my necklace and sunglasses). Looks like cheese is not a good face for Carson (although still adorable).



I got Carson some Halloween jammies. With his fear of “scaries,” he saw them and started saying “Scary monsters.” I was not about to have wasted my money, so I told him they were funny monsters. That’s all it took. He wanted to wear his jammies immediately after dinner and was very upset when we had to take them off in the morning. He ran around, pointing at his pants, saying “funny monsters.” Here is a video of him demonstrating his jammies. He is too cute.

Note: my ringtone for Karl is the song “I Believe in Miracles” and so it is often stuck in my head. Carson copied me singing it one day and it made me laugh. Now I make him sing that line every once in awhile because I think it is funny. That’s why I ask him to sing it at the end.

Here is a pic of me choosing my battles. He was really excited about his new shoes and didn't want to take them off. So after he fell asleep, I went in, took this pic, and then took the shoes off. In the morning, the first thing he asked was "where's my shoes?" (He had just rolled over, hence the one very pink cheek)

3 comments:

Erica said...

Cute Carson!! He sounds like the funniest kid, just like his mommy. Hope you have a fun fall/Halloween!

Jason and Ashlee said...

Oh my goodness...he is getting so big & talking so much. We need to come see you guys - lets get together before the holidays sneak up on us.

Unknown said...

The kids got a great sense of style - who doesn't want to sleep in their vans!!! And spidersaurs? Could he BE any cuter??!! Always love reading your blog, makes me smile LOTS. Love ya!