Tuesday, August 14, 2012

KINDERGARTEN!!!

Carson started Kindergarten this week!  I was more nervous for the big day than he was.  He acted very nonchalant about it...you know, no big deal.  I could learn a thing or two from him.

I was able to experience school supply shopping for the first time.  Crowded Walmart is pretty much one of my worst nightmares.  I tried crowded Target first, but they were cleaned out.  I also wasn't sure how to back to school clothes shop here in Arizona.  Kids will still be wearing their summer shorts through October...usually into November.  So do I buy him new shorts for school - that seemed silly.  But buying a bunch of pants and sweaters when it is 115 degrees also seemed really silly.  So we decided to just round out his summer wardrobe (a few more basics to mix and match, new shoes, etc.) and call it good.  I'll worry about the warm clothes when they are actually needed.

The night before, Karl gave Carson a blessing.  He asked Carson if there was anything he was worried about.  Carson told him "learning math."  Carson was super reverent during the blessing.  He kept his arms folded and his eyes closed the entire time (I was peeking).  This was surprising because he's been having a hard time being reverent during prayers lately.  It's like he's finally figured out that everyone has their eyes closed and so he thinks it's funny to move spots or belch or pretend to fall asleep and snore or who knows what.  I was glad he took the blessing seriously though.

The night before I got as much done as possible.  I laid out his outfit.  I put his back pack together.  I made sure all forms were filled out.  I put his name on everything.  I planned the lunch I would make in the morning.

We woke up in the morning and it was all excitement and happiness for ten minutes.  Chloe started crying so we went to get her up too.  When we went in there, it smelled way too foul.  She had a gross diarrhea explosion (sorry if that is too graphic).  It was everywhere.  So then we spent fifteen minutes cleaning her and cleaning poop out of clothes, blankets, etc.  We finally got back to the morning and had breakfast.  We were all going to go get dressed and then Chloe threw up all over the carpet...a ton.  So then we spent 15 minutes cleaning up throw up.

At this point, I was starting to get nervous.  I had worked so hard to make sure this would be a nice, smooth morning for Carson and it had completely been turned upside down.  Luckily we pulled it together and got out the door on time (good thing I did all that prep).  Here he is before we left.

I walked Carson into the playground and found his teacher.  Then they led the whole group into his classroom.  I let the kids go first and followed a little behind (snapping pictures).  After 5 minutes or so, Carson saw me and said "Mom, you're still here?  What are you doing here?"  It made me laugh.  We hadn't said bye or anything and he was totally okay with going it alone.  In this way, he is totally opposite of me as a child...much more like Karl.  I was a Nervous Nelly my first day school.


We walked into his classroom and found his backpack hook.  I helped him find his desk.  Then I just kind of stood on the side and watched him as everyone got settled.  He didn't seem nervous or apprehensive, just taking it all in.

I could look at this pic all day.  He is way too cute.

 We all said the pledge of allegiance and then the teacher told them to say goodbye to their parents.  He smiled and waved.  I gave him a kiss and a little hug as I walked past.  I paused just outside the door and I saw him turn around once and look for me.  He saw me and waved again.  I got pretty teary at this point.  Seeing his smiling face wave bye as I left him at Kindergarten was a little emotional.  I wasn't worried about him, but I stayed out in the hall for a few minutes and peeked in a few times...just to watch him.


I wondered what he was doing a few times during the day.  We picked him up and he was all smiles.  I kept asking questions and I found out they had singing time, that he enjoyed lunch time, that he made two friends (names unknown..."but one had a yellow shirt and one had a blue jacket"), they learned rules, he liked his teachers (meaning the teacher and the aid), and that he was a good listener (according to him).  He asked me if this was his real kindergarten and was very pleased when I said yes.  I think preschool and summer camp had him confused.

I'd say it was a success.

No comments: