Thursday, August 7, 2008

Wisdom teeth and more

Well - more of the same (study, work, parent) but I thought I'd blog since I know my dad depends on his blogging updates.

Karl got his wisdom teeth out last week. He did pretty well until the medication he was on made him sick. He had a horrible headache and was throwing up before we figured out the problem. So we had some other left over pain pills (I know - awful). But he took those and immediately felt better. So he called and got a prescription for that. But now, a week later, he's still having dull throbbing and is also having trouble sleeping. He went in for a check up but the doctor said everything looks fine. The doctor did mention that the new medication he was on can energize people so he gave him a new new prescription. Hopefully this one takes the pain away, doesn't keep him up at night, and doesn't make him sick. Karl is especially worried because he is going in for another surgery a week from tomorrow and can't be on any medication the 5 days before. He is having his fatty tumors removed. This is a common term in Karl's family's household but I think most people go "huh?" Karl just has these lumps that are deposits of fat that build up in certain areas. It's his body's inability to break down fat. Anyway - they really annoy him and he is getting 5 of his 18 removed next week. I leave to go out of town the next day so everyone feel free to check up on him.

Carson is just cute as ever but not much new. We've finally broken him of a bottle before bed. He still does milk from a sippy cup before bed - but he really took comfort in the bottle. We used to get his blanket and hold him and he'd drink his bottle. He associated that whole process with the bottle and would not take a sippy when we first tried. So we just changed the process. Now he gets ready for bed we put his blanket in the family room (he loves the fuzzy blankets) and we put his sippy on the coffee table. He grabs it and wanders around as he downs it. He'll usually stop a few times to lay on his blanket and get cozy. Then it's off to bed. It was so nice to bag up all his bottles and put them in the garage. It opened up a whole shelf.

Here are some videos - they aren't amazing but I gotta give my parents something.

He also insists on eating with a fork now. Well, at least holding a fork. He doesn't always use it - but he won't eat without one.


Here's a video of him dancing. It's only at the beginning and I wish I could have gotten more but I wasn't fast enough. He has three basic moves. 1) The squat which is demonstrated below. 2) The twist which is a swinging twist of his upper body. 3) Happy Feet - which is a crazed stomping of the feet really fast. I'll get all three on here soon.



He's also climbing like crazy - on top of chairs, the coffee table, the sub woofer, the couch, etc. Our coffee table used to protect all of the electronics but now that he climbs right in it - it's probably doing more harm than good. We're going to have to figure out a new system. We also rearranged the room so that the sub woofer was hidden. He realized he could climb up on it and then get into the recliner. He was very proud of himself. We wouldn't mind but he also thinks he can jump right off things and I'm scared to death of him jumping off the chair. Here he is climbing on the sub and then he jumped over to the chair. You can see his delight.
Here he is in the coffee table (it's also his downstairs toy chest)


For those of you who don't know - I'm going to visit home next week. I'm really excited. It will be a nice get away before I start working. I'm also so happy to get out of the heat. I feel like I imprison Carson all day because if we go out he gets so red with in 5 minutes. I know he will love playing outside everyday. Sometimes he just stares out the windows or back door and I know he's longing to be outside.

That's all for now!

3 comments:

Sweating in the endless heat said...

So cute! Don't you love when they start to become so independent? I totally agree with the feeling that I imprison my kiddos. I wish I was going with ya to WA. Your so lucky, have fun and tell Karl that we will have him over!

Mighty Mighty Rudds said...

Congrats on the bottle weaning--it is so nice when I can actually succeed at something with my kids! We too are getting pretty sick of being stuck indoors--okay probably more me but I hate this time of year because by all accounts it should be fall. School is starting, september is looming...but it's still 110 degrees and will be for what seems long an eternity still!!!
Bethany

Anonymous said...

Oh... poor Karl. If you need anything - you know you can us and well help with whatever. Kasey have fun in Washington and enjoy the cool days. Good job on the bottle thing, that has to feel nice -- I think my sister has been trying to get rid of the bottle for awhile now and has not been successful. Take care & we'll talk soon.