Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Give me some candy you will

So Halloween was a blast. Carson was Yoda (hence the blog title). Karl saw the costume and really wanted it for Carson. So then I found a Darth Vader candy bucket thingy and a cheap light saber (gotta love Walmart). We added the scarf belt because even after I tacked his sleeves, the holes were too big and he kept taking his arms out.
We planned on taking Carson Trick or Treating, but deep down inside I thought it would be 5 minutes of us chasing him around and stopping him from eating rocks and then we'd give up and go home. AMAZINGLY...it went really well. He was a little nervous about the whole situation at first, but with a lot of coaxing and his older cousin Kenzie to watch, he started to love it. He realized that if he put out his hand they would give him candy. Then he would slowly and carefully put the candy in his bucket. We ended up being out there for an hour! He would do a little happy dance after he got the candy. By the end, his bucket was so heavy that he couldn't carry it anymore. Here is our little Yoda showing off his light saber skills.

And him carrying his little Darth Vader bucket...


Last house - he was pooped and needed a little break. This is in the middle of some one's driveway...


This is the after Halloween candy pic - one Three Musketeers


Here's a video of him demonstrating his new found favorite activity. You can see his smile as he walks away.


Halloween in AZ is definitely different than in Washington. First of all, it's not freezing. I can remember it snowing as we were Trick or Treating. The problem every year was "how do I work a winter coat into my costume?" In AZ...I was sweating...at 7:00 pm (crazy). I can also remember people yelling at you to get off their lawns...no one yells at you to get off their rocks.

I really think Halloween is fun and it always makes me reminisce. My mom would make, or help us make, our costumes every year. There was only one year in my entire childhood where my mom let me "buy" a costume. Some might think this was sad as a kid...but we loved it! Halloween became this creative project. We'd pick what we wanted to be and then brainstorm how to put the parts together. I think my sister Jackie was most creative - for example: one year she was grapes. Purple sweat pants and sweat shirt, then we blew up 50 purple balloons and attached them to her all over. Anyway, we bought Carson's costume this year. I felt like I was cheating. It was pretty hard for me to do. But maybe when he's older and Halloween means a little bit more I'll start the creative Halloween projects.

In regular life - we aren't up to much. We are redecorating our house. We painted all last weekend. We started Sat at 8:30 pm and just kept going thinking we could finish. At 4:30 am we decided to go to bed and finish the next day. Day time is always slower though cause Carson is running around and him plus wet paint doesn't equal a fun time. So we worked here and there during the day and then went strong once he went to bed. At 9 pm Sunday, we had finished! But our house was a disaster. So we saved the clean up for Monday. I finally ordered curtains for our downstairs...yes we've lived here 2 1/2 years and never had curtains. We might be put together soon. I'll post a before and after pic once it's all put together.

3 comments:

Jason and Ashlee said...

AHHHH... that is the cutest costume. Carson looks so darn cute!! It looks like he caught on pretty fast. He looks so big in the video, he knows what he's doing - doesn't look like a 1 year old. Way to go on the painting - we need to come check it out.

PS... I have found some races if you are still interested. I don't have your email address, so if you give it to me I can send you the link. ashlee_andersen@hotmail.com

Sweating in the endless heat said...

I love the costume! Megan was princess leah, and she too loves her light saver. Anyway, are you guys doing all this work, because you guys are going to leave us, then we'll be the only ones left in our neighborhood;-( ??

the little Vinings ; ) said...

What a cute Yoda! Ohhh, Carson just makes me giggle, I love having him in Nursary, well when I get to be his teacher. He is just always smiling, and so happy, he has such a sweet spirit!