Thursday, January 22, 2009

Nothing Much

So life has gotten a little crazy. Karl just started his LAST semester at ASU. This is going to be a busy semester for him. His "capstone" class will be extremely time consuming. But then he'll be done and have his masters! Work has gotten really slow for Karl. His company has also had a LOT of layoffs. The newest development was a whole slew of "cost" cutting. So there have been quite a few perks Karl no longer has, etc, etc. Karl has also had to cut back his hours at work because there isn't enough work to fill 40 hours a week. But, with his crazy semester it might be for the best for a little bit.

Karl and I worked on our little side yard the other Saturday. Carson loves being outside! So we are going to get some little outside toys and let him play as much as he wants. Carson loved helping us get the yard ready. Karl and I are pretty bad at the whole keeping plants alive thing. We never remember to water and every drip system we have bought has broken (3). So we have a water hose system thingy now, hopefully it lasts. We have two vines that have survived our care taking skills. We planted a rosemary bush this weekend. We have no clue what we are doing. Oh well - we'll learn through trial and error.



We have a few Carson developments. He is definitely starting to try and talk more. It still comes out as mostly gibberish but you can see how hard he is trying to communicate. I can only imagine how frustrating it is to know what you want and not know how to tell someone. Here are just a few cute pictures. He loves putting on every ones shoes. The second one was at night and I went in to check on him. He looked so funny with his legs crossed and out the crib I had to take a picture. It flashed and then I ran for it.



Here are some cute tub pics. He loves these sunglasses. Also, I was pretty brain dead - you'll notice I didn't remember to take everything off him. I laughed pretty hard when half way through his bath I saw his foot.



We have also entered the land of full blown tantrums! I am so excited for this milestone (sarcasm). He already is getting better but when he first discovered them he was pulling it 3 times a day. We are talking all out screaming, writhing on the floor spasms, kicking, and flailing for ten minutes (he doesn't give up easily). Trying to comfort him is impossible. He'll just run from you and freak out even harder. The first few times Karl and I were trying so hard to figure out what was wrong - we were handing him blankies and sippy cups and nothing was working. Then we realized it was a tantrum and we switched to ignoring him. The other night he wanted dinner but didn't want to sit in his high chair. He started a lovely tantrum! Karl and I just ignored him and ate dinner, carrying on small talk like everything was dandy. All the while Carson is in the living room sounding like he is dying. After a few minutes Carson composed himself and came over saying "sit, sit" (which is what he says when he needs help getting into a chair.) We lifted him into his chair and he ate dinner with us happy as can be. I felt like we were the best parents for five minutes. It was so great to see him respond positively.

Other Carson happenings, we've given up binkies. I think it might have been harder on me. It was sad to me to end another baby thing. He doesn't have very many baby things left. He is growing up too fast. Every time I look at him I am amazed at how big he is. Every time he does something new I just realize he's more and more toddler and less and less baby. He did really well giving up binkies though. The only annoying part was that Karl and I used it as a silencer (which was heaven for us) but then we had to deal with quite a bit of whining while he figured out other ways to comfort himself besides sucking. He since has become pretty attached to his blankies. Just like we used to have to hide the pacifiers, we now have to keep the blankies out of sight. If he sees them, nothing else matters and he will die unless he gets one (his words, not mine).
Well - that's our lives for now. Hope everyone is doing well!

3 comments:

Sweating in the endless heat said...

You know that rosemary bushes are right outside our front door?? They are all over our neighborhood too; so if the bush doesn't work in your backyard, just come and cut as much as you want any old time:-) Carson is such a cutie, and the tantrums are definitely something that is a downer. Way to go though in just ignoring and letting him figure out he's not going to get his way. The fun is just starting:-)

Allison said...

What a cute kiddo! Hurray for the last semester of school; Chase is on his last semester too and then his masters degree will be done. He did the accounting route like you. This summer his plan is to take the CPA exam. It's sounds brutal. I bet you're glad to have that behind you.

the little Vinings ; ) said...

Carson is so cute and is getting to be such a big boy now! I can't beleive how much he is growing up! I love seeing him in Nursary, he is so composed and so independant too! Not what you want to hear, as you are holding onto those few baby memories, but he is going to be such a great little boy for you! Sorry to hear about Karl and the cut backs, but at least he has something else taking up his time, and it will pay off in the end too!