Saturday, February 6, 2010

The Adventures of Me

I've been working a lot lately. Busy season has hit me full force and I'm pulling off some major hours. But I'm excited to be working and doing it well. I few weeks ago I was in Oregon for a audit. I actually really enjoy going up to Eugene. It's a bit of a hippie town - lots of Vegan restaurants, bikers everywhere, organic restaurants, etc, etc. You know, the things you never see in the valley. Well....maybe in Scottsdale. Anyway - I love the change in vibe. I kind of like the hippie feel. Not that I eat all organic or am a vegetarian, but it's fun to be around. The weather is pretty mild. It is close to the coast so while it can get cold, it usually isn't too bad and the snow fall usually only stays a day and then melts. I've heard it is gorgeous in the summers. It is called "The Emerald City." Unfortunately, the audit is in December and January...so I only get winters. The population is about the same as the town where I grew up...so that also feels comfortable to me.

Traveling for work can be good and bad. The first trip I had out of town, I think I enjoyed it a little too much. It was the first time I had ever had a hotel room all to myself. I could do anything I wanted at night. I stayed up late and watched TV. I kept the room spotless the whole week. I read till all hours of the night guilt free. After a few out of town trips, the freedom wore off a little and I began to miss my family sooner and sooner. I little trip every once in a while can still be nice though.

This last trip I took didn't give me as much free time at night. Since this is my second busy season, my work load is definitely heavier. So I would work out at the client's during the day and then go back to my hotel room and work some more. By Thursday night, I was going a little mad. I decided to not work for that last night and go do something instead. My hotel is right downtown and there are several cool looking places with in walking distance. So I walked and got dinner at one of my fav Eugene restaurants (Lucky Noodle) and I noticed there was a little movie theater across the street. I decided to go see a movie...by myself. This is actually the first time I have done this. 500 Days of Summer was playing and that was one I had wanted to see but Karl hadn't...perfect. I knew the movie must be close to coming to rent so I figured this must be a discount theater or something.

I walk in and it looks more like a little house than a theater. My ticket was $5. The man asked me if I would like to open a tab? He asked if I would be drinking tonight? He asked if I would like him to keep my credit card up front for my future alcohol purchases? No, No, and No. He then "cards" me in case I decide to drink later. I can say this is the first time I have ever been carded. There are people in the lobby, laughing and drinking wine. I stop to read the newspaper clippings that are framed on the wall. Light bulb - this is a theater/pub. Oh well, I can enjoy the theater part and ignore the pub part.

So then I ask where the theater is and he points to a little curtain...where am I? So I go through the curtain and just start laughing. I am in a room the size of my living room. There are six love seats and a few chairs in the "back row." There is a projector screen. I am the only person in the room. I help myself to the front row love seat and put my feet up on the coffee table. This could be fun. I love experiencing different things like this. At this point I take a sec to call Karl, take some pics on my cell phone and send them to him. We have a good laugh.

I got a second laugh when the "previews" ended and the 500 Days of Summer screen had a few options - "Play" "Scene Selection" "Language" Etc. Ha - this IS a DVD. By now there is another couple in the back. The man walks in and hits play. Let the movie begin!

So besides the occasional loudness coming from the lobby (on the other side of the curtain) as people just hung out and had a few beers, I really enjoyed my little night out at the theater/pub. And I think that Eugene is the exact place you'd find something like this. It was like having the comfort of your own home but being out on the town. My only wish was that Karl had been there too (aaahhh.)

Anyway, if you're ever in Eugene and want to visit a movie theater/pub, hit up the David Minor movie theater/pub. As far as movie theaters/pubs go, I highly recommend it.

2 comments:

JLJ said...

Ha! Great story! You are adventurous. I probably would have left when the other people came into the living room. But I have no problem seeing movies by myself in a regular theater.

Erica said...

You're funny and also I wish I could have been there with you. That would've been a good laugh! I'm glad you're enjoying working and using all of your CPA knowledge:) Miss you!