Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Say Ahhh!

Well - I just experienced another rite of passage...my first cavities. Three to be exact. When I found out about them at my dentist appointment (3 weeks ago), I was in denial. I just kept thinking that if I brushed really hard and flossed everyday until my filling appointment...the cavities would magically disappear. Well, unfortunately, my teeth aren't magic and I had to deal with the disappointment of learning that my teeth are not superhuman as I've always thought.

So appointment day came and I sat down in the seat. The dentist said "let's get you numbed up." It was at that moment that I realized I would be getting a shot...in the gums. Ahhhh. I wanted to say "Um, no let's not, I'm good with my cavities." Luckily, he numbed my gums with gel and then gave me the shot...didn't hurt a bit. By the time he got down to business I couldn't feel a thing. I was able to use the time to close my eyes and relax. An hour of forced laying down...not too bad.

I was fascinated by the assistant/dentist system. She anticipated his every move and kept a constant range of tools coming. Without saying a word, they would exchange tools over and over. I was smiling as I watched their fine tuned system and then I caught myself humming along to the overhead song, Barry White "Can't Get Enough of Your Love." Then I realized what a weirdo I was being and I laughed...actually laughed during my filling procedures. My jaw is craned open, I have some screw contraption attached to my tooth, the dentist is drilling away, and I'm smiling and humming Barry White. Weirdo.

After it was all said and done, they handed me a cup of Listerine to swish and spit out in the sink. Keep in mind that I have never had Novocaine lips before. I stood over the sink, took a swig of Listerine, and attempted to swish. It all just spit out of my mouth all over me. I couldn't help but laugh again. I tried one more time and tried to concentrate really hard on clenching my lips...but no, it just spittled everywhere. The assistant then chimes in "Oh, that happens all the time." I think she was trying to comfort me, but I thought "Really, you couldn't have warned me? C'mon!"

I had a replay of the spit event when I got home and tried to drink a glass of milk. I just kept quoting Airplane - he discusses the drinking problem he's had ever since the war. He then tries to drink a glass of water and pours it all over his face...ahhh ha ha ha. Drinking problem. Oh, ha ha.

And the moral of the story is...floss...or, try to remember that people can see and hear you so try not to be a weirdo all the time.

3 comments:

JLJ said...

Love the storytelling. I had a hard time imagining how one actually smiles and hums with one's mouth wide open. :)

I'm very impressed with your quilting skills. You continue to surprise me with all your talents.

adam and erica said...

Again...love the movie airplane and love you! You are the same forever and I'm so glad!

Timothy Burley said...

Ha ha! Your spitting mishap made me recall mine when I was in St. Petersburg last month for a tooth extraction. I had my mouth numbed too, so when I spit the mouthwash, it went out sideways and straight to the floor. I'm telling you, I was like an archer fish that day! Even the dentists found it funny. Ooh, I'll never forget that embarrassing moment.