Monday, February 21, 2011

Fruits & Veggies

I asked Carson what his favorite vegetable was. His response? Chicken Nuggets. Apparently we need to go over the food groups a little better. It made me laugh though.

I picked up my bountiful basket on Saturday. In it was a large bag of...ginger? Nope, they are Jerusalem Artichokes. Also known as sunchokes. As we were getting our basket, I said "What are we going to do with this much ginger?" A lady nearby told me it wasn't ginger and that it was a type of artichoke. I hid my skepticism and thanked her. After a quick sniff though it was obviously not ginger. So after a few Google searches, I confirmed that the lady was correct and my skepticism was uncalled for. They are artichokes...now what to do with them? I found a few recipes. We'll see how this goes.

I also got the extra of 8 lbs of strawberries. I've already got some in the freezer. Some ready to be dehydrated. And some going into jam tonight. Oh, and two pounds we've already eaten...is that gross? We had them for breakfast and dessert on Saturday and as snacks in our lunches today. This will be my first time canning anything though...should be interesting.

I would also like to add that Karl and I visited the Yogurtland that opened up by our house. I ALWAYS get my yogurt topped with strawberries. It's the best ever. So when they just had an empty container labeled "Strawberries", I felt a little disappointed. Upon further inquiry, they told me they don't have any strawberries because they are "out of season." Oh - because pineapple and all the other crazy fruits you have there are in season? Also, I just bought 8 beautiful pounds of strawberries. C'mon! Needless to say, we left without purchasing.

1 comment:

JLJ said...

So that's what they were! My mom was here this weekend and we puzzled and puzzled trying to figure out what those rooty looking things were. We ended up just peeling a couple and eating them raw. They weren't too bad, but the rest of the bag ended up in the trash. I'm interested to know what you did with yours.

And no, you should no be embarrassed for devouring 2 lbs of strawberries. I can go through a pound myself in one afternoon. Maybe I should be embarrassed?