Tuesday, June 22, 2010

It's Getting Hot in Here

Usually the blog title is one of the hardest things for me to write. I always want it to be clever...usually I fail (just go back and read some titles...wait, don't). Anyway, as i approached this post, this blog title came to me way too quickly. Perhaps I should be worried that a song such as this is so near my cognitive surface. And if you are now humming the tune...perhaps you should be worried too.

ANYWAY...

It is warming up in Phoenix - the hellish part of the year has begun. Our church building is old and the AC is awful. As I've been serving in primary the last two years (just released...tear) I've come to learn that the Primary room is one of the worst rooms - temp wise. It's like a torture chamber/hot box. And trying to do sharing time while being self conscious about the sweat dripping off your brow and trying to never lift your arms too high isn't fun. They are supposed to be working on our AC so hopefully it cools down soon.

On Sunday, it was really hot at church. During sacrament meeting, I was fanning myself with the program (which always makes me envision myself as a southern bell and I begin to talk with a thick Georgian accent - "Pass me that hymnal won't ya darlin' "). Carson was being a bit of a pill and as I took him out, the lobby was even hotter. I felt like I was walking into a sauna. At the end of sacrament meeting, the Bishop got up and said that the chapel was the coolest in the building and it was still uncomfortably hot. So they canceled the rest of our meetings and sent us all home. My first response was gratitude. I was so glad I didn't have to sweat it out for two more hours...in my new cute dress I might add.

As we were driving away, blasting the AC, I started to feel like a pansy. I am sure there are hundreds of church buildings all over the world that just don't have AC. So I guess I'll be grateful I was saved the suffering...but also remember that I'm blessed to have a church building at all.

To come - my little sister's wedding and Carson's birthday. Karl is taking some computer software classes and is basically on our computer all night every night. So it will be a little bit before I find a second to transfer pictures.

1 comment:

Sweating in the endless heat said...

Umm, not burst anyones bubble over there at the stake center, BUT, they have been "working" on getting the AC fixed for st least 6 years now. Ever since we had moved here. It's kinda sad that they just don't give in and buy the window units like they have in the H.council room:-/ Hopefully they will have it "working" by next Sunday:-)
btw. TOTALLY feel your pain with the whole sweating thing, while doing sharing time:-)