Saturday, July 17, 2010

Time to Blog

This is a sampler blog post - instead of making them separate posts, I just lump them all together. Bon Appetit!

Quilt #2: I have been working on another quilt. This time I did a pinwheel sampler. The block tutorials all came from psiquilt.com. So this was a HUGE learning experience. I felt like I really got to know my seam ripper during this project, we are very close friends now. I think it turned out pretty good though. Keep reading for quilt #3.

4th of July: We headed out to the Mesa Festival of Freedom. Can I just say that I loathe crowds. It makes me really cranky and I'm not ever willing to wait in a huge line. Basically nothing is worth standing in a huge line (a minor line is ok...but if it's over 15 people deep or if I'm not seeing any progress...I'm out). So the event was crowded. Carson seems to be pretty sensitive to loud noises so he had his hands over his ears ALL night...not just during the fireworks. The bands were too loud for him, the classic car engine revving was too loud for him, the general crowd noise was too loud for him. Half way through the night I saw a kid with noise canceling head phones on...maybe I should invest. *Side Note - Carson covered his ears for half of Toy Story 3 when we took him to see it (he kept asking if we could go because it was too loud). Also, he hates the Rainforest Cafe due to the noise of the "rain" storms that sweep through the restaurant. K...back on track.

The fireworks were cool though. That's pretty much all I can say about it. Here are a progression of pictures I took of Carson through out the night...try to find the common theme.


Here is Carson on 4th of July morning eating pancakes with whipped cream, strawberries, and blueberries (a special red, white, and blue breakfast...plus I made them funny face pancakes which he adores).


Quilt #3: Another one of my sisters is having a baby in the very near future so I decided to play fair and make her a quilt too. I got this pattern off Moda Bake Shop. It's the Moda Make Life fabric. I absolutely love this quilt and LOVE this fabric line. I just want to hold it and squeeze it because I think it is so darn cute. Also, I have to toot my own horn for a second - this was my first time ever doing applique and ever doing free motion quilting. I think I did awesome! The applique was kind of hard and I ended up getting a different foot so I could actually see the letter lines. I was so nervous for the free motion quilting. I had read so many blogs (and the ladies at the sewing store) that made it seem impossible. One lady said if I practiced about 120 hours, I'd be good at it. What! Who has 120 hours to practice stipple quilting? I did use one tip I read online - it said consistent speed is important and suggested putting a book in your foot pedal so it only goes down half way. I did this and I think it really helped. So there was only one spot I crossed my line and it was because I was just so caught up in the amazingly cool loops I was making...and making beautifully. So, I don't think I'll need 120 hours of practice. There is room for a little improvement...but I can display my stipple quilting proudly! Oh - and I machine bound it (same as above). I'll probably just go back and forth between by machine and by hand depending on how I feel that day.

Hmmm...I feel like there was way more I needed to say...oh well. Count your lucky stars I don't go babbling on forever.

Disclaimer: I have waited in line for a few movies/book releases in my life. It is a little different though - you can sit, you're with friends, you can eat, etc. etc. I felt I needed to disclaim or else a certain sister-in-law would call me out due to the fact that we waited in line to see a certain movie containing vampires and werewolfs just a few weeks ago. This movie will remain nameless.

1 comment:

mandy said...

love your pinwheel quilt. we're needing a new club around here!?