Monday, August 1, 2011

Carson Update

Carson did a summer session of preschool. He loved it (thank goodness)! Karl dropped him off the first day and Carson just ran right in without saying goodbye. Karl said it kind of hurt to see his little baby act so grown up and independent. He couldn't believe Carson didn't need him. Just you wait Karl...you'll have a baby that needs you all too much in a few weeks. Anyway, Carson made cute things each day and walked out with a big smile. I'm so glad he'd liked it.  He'll start for fall in just a few days as well.  Here is a pic of him coming home from preschool.
We also did swimming lessons. If you read my blog, you know this is a sensitive subject. Carson has been terrified of the water for the last two years. So I was nervous about this one. Well, I made it worse by accidentally signing him up for the baby class. I didn't realize until we were there. I went to switch him to the preschool class, but it was already full. Awesome mom award. The manager suggested putting Carson in the level above preschool, "level 1". She said they do basically the same things but it's for more comfortable swimmers. Ummmmmm....comfortable swimmers....right. She assured me the teacher could just help Carson a little more and that he would be fine. So it was either that or donate money to the city of Glendale since they don't do refunds. So Level 1 it was. I was just feeling awful about it and trying to act like Level 1 was the right class for him so he didn't get freaked out. He spent the first 5 minutes glued to the edge crying for me. I just kept smiling and waving and giving him thumbs up (probably looking ridiculous). When general crying for me didn't work, he switched to actual reasons..."Mom, I'm thirsty...I need a drink." Again, I didn't move. Eventually he gave it up and began participating. He would hesitantly do each move the teacher asked...always preceded by an "I don't wanna." BUT...I am proud to say that after a few days, he did just fine. He still didn't love it, but he stopped fighting it and there was no more crying. I'm just happy he's getting over his fear. I am so proud of him.  He's even gotten a little more comfortable when we go as a family now.  I stick by my method to not "push" him.  While I worried about his fear, I knew he would get over it and not be 15 and still scared of the water.  I did the same thing as a child and I got over it just fine.

No comments: