So I am doing an all night blog session...that's what I get for procrastinating. Now I have so many things to blog about I am going to be at this for hours. I will also be doing a few posts to break it up.
First off...I was able to get together with my college roomies. See pic from Freshman year at BYU below. We have cuter ones of us...but right now it's midnight and I can't find them. So, sorry gals, this is going to have to do. Oh - and we were really into 3 waving our hair back then. I'd guess at least one of us has our hair that way in the majority of our pictures.

Last time we were together was when the last of us got married, 3 years ago. So a few weeks ago, we all flew to the exciting travel destination of Los Alamos, NM. It actually wasn't bad, but we decided to go there since the one who is 8 months pregnant with twins lives there. There were lots of parks and since it's a little town, we got to hang out and do a lot of talking rather than feel pressure to see the sights. We all brought our kids so it was a little crazy, but still fun. Here is a pic of the clan (Me, Carson, Kaylee (2), Julia, Wyatt (1), Erica, Marguerite, Andrew (1)). Marguerite has another little boy that is 3 but he stayed home for this trip. Also, Julia has another daughter but she was at preschool.
Carson was a little frustrated at first because the kids his age were girls and the boys there were 1 year olds. But after a day or two, he realized that playing house can be fun too (although he would still ask me to play Star Wars with him every once in awhile). He also realized he could help with the babies. It was probably good practice for him. They kept grabbing his toys and it took him a little time to understand that they don't know how to share yet.
It was impossible to get all the kids in one picture. We tried several times. There was one time we had all the kids lined up and then Carson decided to be the stinker. He refused to get into the picture and then once it was over, he threw a fit that he didn't get his picture taken. Hence, a picture of the other children...and then Carson by himself.
We ate a bunch of good food (check out my friend's blog www.neighborjulia.blogspot.com, try the easy tamale griddle cakes...so delicious). We spent a night looking at freshman year pictures and reminiscing. Stayed up late talking and laughing. The kids had a dance party to a mix CD we made freshman year. Watched some Arrested Development. Etc. Etc.
There was one afternoon that we decided to let the kids play in the basement and we would try to play a card game. After a few rounds I decided to go check on the kids. As I was walking downstairs we could hear them outside. We all thought "How did they get out there?" I kept going downstairs and found the three oldest children (Carson (3), Emmy (4), and Kaylee (2)) having the time of their lives. I could hear the giggles all the way down the hall. They had pushed out the screen of a ground level window and were jumping on the bed and then jumping out the window, climbing back in, and doing it all over again. Carson didn't even realize they might be in trouble when I came around the corner. He saw me and exclaimed "Mom...I
pushed out the screen so we can do this!" While I was worried about the damage he had done to their screen, they were so happy it was almost hard to tell them it wasn't ok. Plus, we had never gone over the rule "no pushing out screens" so I didn't feel right doling out a punishment. Luckily, the screen went back in (after a little bending). I'll never forget the pure joy on their faces.
Carson also developed a bit of a crush on this trip. He took a liking to my friend Erica. It became clear he preferred her over boring old mom. He wanted Erica to read him books, he wanted to sit by Erica, and he gave her excessive amounts of hugs. I think this was his first little crush. Here is just a pic of Carson doing some awesome posing. He wanted his picture taken really bad.
Oh - and one friend took a pregnancy test while in NM and it was positive! I won't say who in case they haven't announced to all, but it was fun to share that moment. Two of us are already pregnant...so maybe it was one of us...but then that wouldn't really be exciting news.
And the life lesson from this trip...it is just sooo nice to have those friends that when you get together 3 years later, you just pick up where you left off. Those friends that know your personality so well (pros and cons) there is nothing to hide and you can just relax and have fun. I am so grateful to have made friends like these three special ladies. What a blessing to have three life long friends. Thanks for being my friends. Love you guys!
No comments:
Post a Comment